City Manager's Office
The City Manager, as the chief executive officer of the City, is responsible to the City Commission for the management of all City affairs placed in the Manager's charge by or under the City Charter.
City Manager's Powers and Duties
The City Manager's powers and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Appoints and may suspend or remove all City employees. The City Charter provides that the appointment, suspension or removal of the City Clerk and the Department Directors by the City Manager must be confirmed by a majority vote of the City Commission.
- Directs and supervises the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, except as otherwise provided by City Charter or by law.
- Attends all City Commission meetings and has the right to take part in the discussion, but does not vote.
- Sees that all laws, City Charter provisions and acts of the City Commission, subject to enforcement by the City Manager or by officers subject to the Manager's direction and supervision, are faithfully executed.
- Prepares and submits the annual budget and capital program to the City Commission and implements the final budget approved by the Commission to achieve the goals of the City.
- Submits to the City Commission and makes available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City at the end of each fiscal year. Makes such other reports as the Commission may require concerning operations and to keep the City Commission fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the City.
- Makes recommendations to the City Commission concerning the affairs of the City and facilitates the work of the Commission in developing policies.
- Assists the City Commission to develop long term goals for the City and strategies to implement these goals.
- Encourages and provides staff support for regional and intergovernmental cooperation. Promotes partnerships among the City Commission, staff, and citizens in developing policy and building a sense of community.
- Performs such other duties as are specified by the City Charter or may be required by the City Commission.