- Tropical Storm Nicole Information
- State of Emergency Proclamation
State of Emergency Proclamation
CITY OF CASSELBERRY
STATE OF EMERGENCY PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS, the National Hurricane Center recognizes the danger to the residents of Florida arising from the potential effects of Tropical Storm Nicole; and
WHEREAS, the Honorable Ron DeSantis, Governor of the State of Florida, has entered, on November 7, 2022, the attached Executive Order Number 22-253 establishing a state of emergency as a result of Subtropical Storm Nicole and other inclement weather events; and
WHEREAS, Seminole County extended the declared local state of emergency related to Hurricane Ian and Subtropical Storm Nicole, by attached Executive Order 2022-016 dated November 7, 2022; and
WHEREAS, as of 10:00 a.m., November 8, 2022, Nicole strengthened to a Tropical Storm with maximum sustained winds of 50 mph; and
WHEREAS, the City of Casselberry desires to adequately protect its citizens from the hazards of Tropical Storm Nicole and potential adverse situations and effects; and
WHEREAS, the current forecast of the National Hurricane Center does not allow for a confident prediction of the track of Tropical Storm Nicole; and
WHEREAS, Section 252.38(3), Florida Statutes, provides authority for local governments such as the City of Casselberry to take actions in emergency situations and to waive the procedures and formalities otherwise required of political subdivisions by law pertaining to:
- Performance of public work and taking whatever action is necessary to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the community;
- Entering into contracts;
- Incurring obligations;
- Employment of permanent and temporary workers;
- Utilization of volunteer workers;
- Rental of equipment;
- Acquisition and distribution, with or without compensation, of supplies, materials and facilities;
- Appropriation and expenditure of public funds; and
WHEREAS, Section 30.07 of the City Code of Ordinances authorizes the City Manager to declare a State of Emergency and to issue emergency orders and resolutions.
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
SECTION 1. The City Manager of the City of Casselberry, Florida, has declared a STATE OF EMERGENCY as of 1:00 P.M. on WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2022 because of weather conditions imminent with Tropical Storm Nicole, as provided by Section 30-10, Weather Emergencies, of the City Code or Ordinances. This declaration authorizes the issuance of emergency resolutions as provided for in City Code Section 30-7, as may be required. Emergency resolutions authorized by this Chapter shall include, but are not limited to the following subjects:
- Curfews, and declarations of areas off limits.
- Suspension or regulation of sale of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives or combustibles.
- Prohibiting the sale of merchandise, goods or services at more than the normal average retail price.
- Water use restrictions.
- Suspension of local building regulations.
- Rationing of fuel, ice and other essentials.
- Emergency capacity procurement procedures.
This State of Emergency will remain in effect within the City of Casselberry for 72 consecutive hours and any extension of the 72 hour time limit must be accomplished by request from the City Manager and the concurrence of the City Commission by duly enacted ordinance or resolution in regular or special session.
SECTION 2. This Declaration of State of Emergency may be altered or rescinded either by the issuance of a subsequent order of the City Manager, or by an appropriate Resolution of the City Commission of the City of Casselberry.
For more information, visit the City’s website at www.casselberry.org.
CITY OF CASSELBERRY, FLORIDA
JAMES R. NEWLON, CITY MANAGER
Date: November 9, 2022
NOTE: The State of Emergency was allowed to expire on November 12, 2022.
City of Casselberry State of Emergency Proclamation - Tropical Storm Nicole 11/09/2022
State of Florida Executive Order Number 22-253
Seminole County Executive Order 2022-016